Level 2 – Award In Food Safety and Food Hygiene (QCF accredited)
1 Full day or 2 half days*
Fee: £60 per candidate
*(2 x 4hr sessions £70 per candidate)
This qualification covers the basic principles of food hygiene for caterers and other food handlers. It is
valuable as a free-standing qualification or as an addition for people following other training programmes.
Holders of this qualification based on this specification will have knowledge and understanding of:
- The importance of food hygiene
- Associated food hazards
- Good hygiene practices and controls based upon an awareness of food safety management systems
- Maintaining good practice in the handling, processing and preparation of safe food.
- Taking personal responsibility for food safety
- The importance of personal hygiene – including clothing
- The importance of keeping work areas clean and hygienic – including pest control
- The importance of keeping food safe – temperature controls, dates, stock control, due diligence forms
This qualification can be delivered in One full day (8-9 hours) or 2 half day sessions, and an assessment is by
a 45 minute multiple choice examination consisting of 30 questions. Credit Value of 1
Level 2 – Award In Identifying and Controlling Food Allergy Risks (QCF accredited)
1 Full day or 2 half days*.
Fee: £60 per candidate (discount available for 5 or more candidates)
*(2 x 3-4hr sessions £70 per candidate)
With the new Legislation regarding Allergen Labelling and information from December 2014, this
qualification will provide learners with an understanding of why food allergens need to be controlled and
the strategies for control, such as keeping and making available information about allergen ingredients,
reducing cross contamination, improving communication and providing advice to consumers.
- Understand why food allergens need to be controlled
- Symptoms produced by ingestions of allergens in food
- Why Food Business Operators need to identify and control allergens
- Foods that commonly cause adverse reactions
- Food allergens in dishes and products – hidden allergens
- Routes of food allergen cross contamination and methods of control
- How communication can reduce the risk of adverse reactions.
This qualification can be delivered in One full day (7 hours) or 2 half day sessions, and an assessment is by a
30 minute multiple choice examination consisting of 20 questions. Credit Value of 1
Level 3 – Award In Supervising Food Safety in Catering (QCF accredited)
2 Full days or 5 half days*. Multiple choice 2 section examination (90 minutes)
Fee: £160 per candidate (discount available for 5 or more candidates)
*(5 x 4hr sessions £180 per candidate)
This Level 3 qualification covers those aspects of the supervision of food hygiene and safety which enables
candidates to identify problem area and to recommend solutions.
The aim of this qualification is to provide a broad knowledge of food safety and food hygiene. Holders of
this qualification will have the appropriate knowledge and understanding to be able to take responsibility
for food safety monitoring procedures, to identify hazards to food safety, take appropriate action in the
light of these hazards and to contribute improvements in food safety practice.
It is an ideal link between the “Level 2 Award in Food Safety in Catering” qualification and the more
advanced “Level 4 Award in Managing Food Safety in Catering”
- How food businesses can ensure compliance with current Food Safety Legislation
- Food safety procedures – food hygiene, food safety, high risk food etc
- Responsibilities of employers and employees
- Food safety legislation and Law enforcement
- Principles of good hygiene practice:
Contamination and cross contamination
Cleaning and disinfection
Equipment and premises
- Implementation of Food Safety Management Systems:
Food safety Hazards
Food safety controls – HACCP
Monitoring and recording controls
Evaluation of food safety controls
- Role of the Supervisor in Staff Training:
Induction and on-going training
Effective communication of procedures
Assessment and Grading
Attainment of the Learning outcomes will be assessed by a synoptic examination of 90 minutes duration set
by RSPH. The examination will consist of 45 multiple choice questions.
The qualification graded is either Pass or Distinction. Candidates who fail to reach the minimum standard
for the Pass grade will be recorded as failed and will not receive a certificate.
In order to be awarded a Distinction, candidates must be able to recall relevant knowledge and facts from the entire specification
with few omissions and demonstrate a high level of understanding of the principles and concepts used in food safety management.
Candidates who attain a mark of 38/45 or greater will be deemed to have achieved the criteria for a Distinction.
In order to be awarded a Pass, candidates must be able to recall relevant knowledge and facts from some parts of the specification
and demonstrate a satisfactory level of such understanding of the principles and concepts used in food safety management.
Candidates who attain a mark of 30-37/45 will be deemed to have achieved the criteria for a Pass. Credit Value of 3
Hummersknott Services Ltd is a wholly subsidiary company of Hummersknott Academy Trust – Company Registered Number 7664322 – Registered in England & Wales. Registered Office Edinburgh Drive Darlington Co. Durham DL3 8AR