HRH The Duke of Edinburgh

It was with great sadness that we learned of the death of HRH Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh.

On 15 November 1955 the Duke opened our school building, which at that time was the home of Darlington High School for Girls.  The Girls' High School had transferred from its previous location in Cleveland Avenue on 12 September 1955.  The Duke arrived in Darlington by train and left in a RAF helicopter, which landed on the school field.  Mr Salmond has found a Pathe news clip of the event.

https://youtu.be/3omy5B_nWHg

We are also thankful to the Duke for the creation of the Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme which many of our students have completed over the years and continue to work towards.

At the time of the buildings being opened, the local houses of the Mowden estate had not yet been built.  We understand that Edinburgh Drive was named after him, but have been unable to confirm this.  Do you know anything about the naming of Edinburgh Drive and the local roads?  

 

IMG 2698

The plaque the Duke unveiled

        IMG 2696

The Duke speaking to the assembled students in the hall

 

IMG 2700