Hummersknott Academy is a community and as such believes that all members of its community are of equal value and invaluable worth. At Hummersknott Academy we believe that all students are entitled to contribute actively in shaping the educational experience they and their fellow students receive, effective delivery of this policy will give them the opportunity to do so. As well as assisting in young people’s learning and social development, such student involvement is also of active benefit to the academy performance. Hummersknott Academy is committed to placing student voice at the centre of lesson planning, design of the wider curriculum and all areas of academy life.
What are Student Voice and Student Leaders?
Student Voice is the system through which young people are enabled to give their opinions and suggestions on academy life in an open, honest, secure yet constructive way. Student leadership enables students to actively participate in the day-to-day running and the improvement and development of the academy.
Student Voice and Student Leader Activities
- College Captains including Head Boy, Head Girl and Vice Captains. This group mirrors the “Academy Leadership” team. Formal applications and rigorous interview processes secure a position on this prestigious team.
- Student Council in planning stage - The Council will be a key mechanism for discussing and making suggestions about issues of whole academy importance but which represent students’ collective views. This body will be democratically elected from each form mentor group that meets every week during the academic year. Sub-groups may represent different combinations of students and have a specific focus.
- Subject Ambassadors – Students with interests and expertise in specific subjects will have the opportunity to work alongside the subject teachers to promote the subject across the academy. They will also be expected to help out in open evenings and run subject related activities.
- Peer Mentors - Students will be trained in order to support their peers experiencing difficulties at the academy especially pertaining to learning, social interaction and bullying. Peer mentors will also work with year 7 and 8 students one morning per week, to ensure that they are settling in to Hummersknott life. Peer mentors will also work with students in registration to help with paired reading.
- Sports Leaders - Students will be provided with opportunities to train as sports coaches and assist with sport in the academy, especially during lunch time inter-college activities. They are also important in the organising of teams for these activities.